Investigating Oil Production and Consumption with GIS
- Ask students to respond to the following question in their journals. What is petroleum commonly used for?
- Inform students that they will investigate countries with oil reserves and analyze petroleum (crude oil) production and consumption of countries.
- Distribute the Investigating Oil Production and Consumption with My World GIS handout and investigation sheet to each student.
- Instruct students to download the Oil Map.m3vz on to their computers from the student resources Web page and open it in My World GIS.
- Use an LCD projector to display My World at the front of the room. Model how to sort columns in ascending and descending order.
- Have students examine worldwide oil reserves. Instruct students to answer questions on their investigation sheets.
- Model how to use the Analyze Mode to analyze oil production, consumption, and population data. Illustrate how to do this with an example.
- Ask students to use the analyze mode to do the activity as they answer questions on their investigation sheets. Guide learners as they do the task.
- Review and discuss student responses to key questions. Ask students if they have any questions about concepts covered in the lesson and respond to their questions.
- If students at the completion of the activity do not understand that in most countries, as population increases so does a country's oil consumption, modify instruction to ensure students understand this concept.
- Have students close and not save any changes they made to the My World GIS file when they finish (if other students in later classes will use the file).
- To provide closure to the fossil fuels section of the energy unit, have students reflect on what they have learned about fossil fuels. Here are some suggestions:
My World Handouts
My World GIS File
Oil Map (M3VZ)
My World Assessment Information
Investigating Oil Production and Consumption with My World GIS Assessment (PDF / MS Word)
Web GIS Handouts
Web GIS Assessment Information
Investigating Oil Production and Consumption with Web GIS Assessment (PDF / MS Word)
Supplemental Homework Readings for Students
Teacher Resources/Content Support
Web GIS Oil Tutorial (QuickTime Video)